Monday, March 10, 2008

Good Writing Sunday and Word Count Quandry...

I had a good writing day yesterday, though distraction still surrounded me. I wrote 3,002 wds!

I honestly didn't think I'd get that much written yesterday. I was doing laundry all weekend, but I got it caught up- for now. LOL

As you'll note to the side here, I have added a Word Count tag. If I don't forget each morning, I'll post a new one with my new current count. 75K is a general idea of how much I'd like to get written, though if "The End" come before then I'll be okay with that, and if it goes over...that would be all right too. I'm not really sure what to aim for. I think the first book in the series came in under 70k- though I'm sure if needed, I could make it a little longer.

I haven't really studied word count or length of most novels and I'm not sure how manuscript pages translate to book pages, what's expected for specific genres, etc. When doing NaNo- 50k is enough to accomplish the month-long novel writing crazyfest, but I don't want to limit myself if the story needs another 10 or 20k. I suppose though to that it would be easier if I had a certain pub in mind so I could go by their word count requirements. I suppose that would help! LOL

For now, I'm simply enjoying writing, even though missing a good word count per day does kind of bring me down, I'm still enjoying every moment I get some writing done. When I can slip into my characters world. I'll worry about the true word count when I get down to the nitty gritty of editing and preparing for submission.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Devon Matthews said...

Taryn, well, I'm jealous of your cute progress meter. Will it fit on your sidebar? If so, I may have to borrow it. ;o)

It's strange that you blogged about this word count issue today. I was obsessing about this very thing just last night. I'll try to blog about it tonight. Just fyi, anything below about 60-70K is category length. Single title length generally runs 75-100K, depending on the pub. Something else to drive one nuts. ;o)

If you want specifics, look in the market update on RWA's site. It's under the members only section so you have to log in.

Taryn Raye said...

Thanks Devon. I actually made mine with Paint Shop Pro. I made enough templates with the bear and blue background for the rest of this month...I just have to fill in the text each time I bump my daily count. LOL

It probably would fit in the side bar.

Yeah, the word count has been weighing because I'm not sure about the whole category and single title stuff. I need to look into that. LOL

I'll definitely check out the specifics on RWA. Thanks.