Monday, June 2, 2008

Setting Goals and Accomplishing Them

My blog today is inspired by Maggie Shayne of the Witchy Chicks.

http://witchychicks.blogspot.com/

Her blog about goal setting yesterday reminded me that I can do all the talking I want in regard to writing my novel, but if I don't believe I'm going to finish it soon, I won't. It gets me no where to talk about it if I'm resisting or procrastinating on it.

I need to dream, believe and WRITE, not just hope its going to happen. It won't happen if I don't actually do something about it and believe with all my heart that I will and HAVE accomplished it. Like she said, you have to pre-celebrate your inevitable triumph. So that's what I'm going to do, in regard to my writing, and all other aspects of my life.

I decided this yesterday after I read her blog. And I ended up writing 600 words on my WIP last night. That might not seem like a lot, but it is considering I haven't been continuously invested in my new novel for a while now.

So here's what my goals are for the beginning of summer-

I'm going to continue doing my Gazelle exercise, as I have been doing since April because it energizes me, makes me feel better and I'm seeing small, but significant changes in my body and health.

I'm going to buckle down and stop procrastinating on my next WIP. I've taken a month or so off from really writing after I finished my 6th and yes, the break has been nice, but I don't feel like "me" when I'm not writing.

Spend time cleaning house and decluttering, but more importantly, spending time with my kids and hubby now that summer vacation has started.

My thanks goes to Maggie and her blog. It was short and sweet, but to the point and it gave me a swift little kick to remind me that you have to set goals and believe in them in order to accomplish the things you desire and set out to do. I've been floating along in limbo for a bit too long and I don't like it.

I've also decided that my main goal, in regard to writing, is to have the rough draft of this novel finished by June 28th,(or the end of June at the latest) just in time for me to take a break and enjoy myself the week I'll be up visiting in my hometown.

Do you have any goals you'd like to share? Please feel free to leave a comment and tell me what your goals for this first month of summer are.

No comments: