Monday, March 12, 2012

Memory Lane Mondays- How Much Is That #Doggie...

As an aside I'd like to mention that I used to love dogs, but I lost a great many of them in my childhood. My first pet was actually a dog I named Macaroni. I was around 3 and I remember my mom asking me what I wanted to name him while we sat on the stone slab near the water pump when we lived out in the country. I named him from the childhood favorite "Yankee Doodle" song-

"He stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni."

My grandparents took in a lot of dogs that were dropped where they lived, but not all the dogs survived. Bandit, Mickey, Spot, Spike, Butterscotch, just to name a few.

My aunt had a male mutt named Lucky and my grandpa had a female named Molly and from them, I picked a pup from the litter when I was around 14 or 15 and named her Tinkerbell. My grandpa called her Bad News Brown. LOL
By that time, we'd lived in town for quite a while and my dad had brought home a dog and we named him Buster, but he was a handful, always finding escapes under the fence, through the chicken wire my dad put all around our backyard fence to keep him in. It just didn't work. I came home from school one day to find him gone. My parents said he "ran away" while we were having a garage sale because people were coming in and out of our backyard to come in the basement where everything was set up and he just slipped out and never came back.
I later found out they took him and dropped him somewhere- so when I picked Tinkerbell to be my dog, I only got to claim her at my grandparents' house. Way out in the country, where most people back then (and even to this day) don't make a point of keeping all dogs chained up. She was 6 months old when she got hit by a car and died. I haven't had a dog since then. The idea just hurts too much, even though I know I'd be more responsible for a dog nowadays.
To this day, I've believed that's why I'm more of a cat person. Losing so many dogs over such a short span of my life hurt, hurt terribly.

What pet do you miss the most?

No comments: