Tuesday, July 8, 2008

July Already

I can't hardly fathom that we're more than half way through this year. In less than a month my stepson will be starting 4th grade and my daughter will be starting kindergarten. It's surreal. A love/hate relationship for me. I'm eager for quiet days spent writing and getting things straightened up around the house without children underfoot, but at the same time, I dread the idea of sending my daughter out into the big big world without me.

I spent a week up in my hometown with my family and spending time with friends. It was a nice break in routine, but sad when I had to come back home. Still miss my hometown and being close to my family and friends.

To take my mind off of it, the past day or so I've been brainstorming ideas for novel #8, figuring out a bit of back story as well as thinking through scenes I'd like to see play out once I get started. Though the back story plays a minimal role, it's still stuff I need to know while I'm writing.

So right now I'm in the "fleshing" mode. Fleshing out my story, digging up the bones, getting to know my characters and getting in their heads and knowing what's in their hearts. I'm molding and shaping, modeling them. It feels really good, especially having a week's break between the last one and this one. I feel ready to start this one and these characters haven't been screaming in my ear, but they have been lurking on the edges of my mind a lot the past few days, whispering things I didn't know about them and their story.

So, that's where I'm at now. Working and delving into this new one and it makes me happy to know this one is stepping up to the plate, ready to be written soon.

Have a great day and happy writing!

No comments: