Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oops! I Wandered Off Course....

I realized I haven't posted since Tuesday. Where did this week go?

I can't say a lot about what I've done this week. Not that I don't want to talk about my week, but there's not really that much to talk about! LOL

Tuesday I didn't get any writing done. Heck, I don't even remember what had me so embroiled that I let it slide right out of my head. Really need to plug those little holes so that it doesn't keep happening. I think I just frittered my day again!

Wednesday I did write almost 2,000 words on my novel, but again Thursday and Friday I sprang a leak and it just seeped out of my thoughts. I did get in 5 miles on the Gazelle- one mile a day, so I'm proud of that little accomplishment.

Friday I spent the beginning of the day medicating the "sugar" burn on my finger with aloe vera gel. Stupidity overcame me while making oatmeal for the kids for breakfast...wasn't thinking and saw some droplets on the stovetop I thought was water- no- it was melted sugar! I don't suppose anything was going through my head, honestly, when I went to "swipe" the "water" away, only to find hot melted sugar sticking to my fingertip.

Since typing was nearly impossible while my finger was burning like crazy- I played around in my Paint Shop Pro because I could use the mouse, just not doing anything else. Silly as it sounds- I was playing around with making "faux" novel covers of my stories. Yes...silly isn't it?

I make them with images of the actors and actresses I envision my characters looking like on the cover and a background that- to me symbolizes or embodies something in the story. I put my working title on it and my name. It builds my ability to "see" my characters in my mind as I write. A lot of the time, I will make a desktop backgrounds for the computer that looks like "my novel" laying on a wooden desktop near the current month's calendar with pencils, paperclips, tacks and such laying around it. I change it out from month to month with a whatever I'm working on as the theme. It's a small form of inspiration that solidifies what I'm aiming for when I write.

Of course, these little graphic creations are for my own personal use and viewing only. I know, in the end, none of them will ever be the covers of my novels, but they are just a little something to inspire me as though I AM looking at my future printed novels and in turn makes it seem all the more real to me in a way that encourages me to keep going and striving to reach the point where I don't have to have pretend covers, but be able to hold my works in my hand as honest-to-goodness books.

Later I made up the menu and the grocery list, balanced the checkbook and enjoyed my new Jewel CD- Perfectly Clear. It's extremely good and has me going back to listen to her other CDs. She's such a poet and I can get lost in her lyrics. I think I'll be able to use some of her songs as "soundtracks" to my upcoming writing projects. {smile}

My finger is doing a lot better today since I busted the small blister last night and put some Neosporin on it and a bandage. Looks strange at the moment, but no pain, just an awareness of it.

While we were at the grocery last night I decided to give green tea a try. My sister has been drinking it for a while. I know it has all those good antioxidants in it and I've heard it's good to drink some of it every day and that it can actually promote weight loss. A wonderful companion to doing my Gazelle exercise, I would think. I'll probably have a cup of it at least once every morning and see how that makes me feel and if it helps me any with the weight loss.

The day is gloomy and grey, again...and we've had rain off and on. It makes me sleepy, but I'm intent on getting some writing out of the way today- I don't have much farther to travel with the current WIP and the sooner I get it out of the way, the sooner I can get to revisions and beefing up my other manuscripts.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Magdalena Scott said...

Taryn,

I think it's great that you create "covers" for your novels as inspiration.

Glad your sugar burn is better, too. ;)

Wendy said...

Taryn, keep at it. It's great that you persevere. Just look how far you've come!

Devon Matthews said...

Taryn, you're not the only dreamer who makes mock-up covers for works in progress. I do that, too. First time I've admitted it to anyone. If I run across just the right photo online or someplace, I can't resist. I whipped up a dandy one (the best so far) for "Maura's Outlaw" just using the plain ole paint feature. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. (smile)

Taryn Raye said...

Thanks Magdalena, on both accounts.

Wendy- Thanks for stopping by and thank you for you kind words!

Devon! LOL I wasn't sure whether to even post about making faux covers. I've been making them for a while now and after I started writing about it, I thought...this sounds really crazy, but what the hay! Glad I'm not alone in this either. Thanks for stopping by!