Sunday, January 4, 2009

5 A.M. Wake Up Call- Am I Ready?

Tomorrow school and work come calling for my kids and husband respectively. But I'm their reminder- their wake up call- so I have to be the one up earliest and frankly, I'm looking forward to a quiet day alone to get back to writing, but how is my body going to react when that alarm goes off?

I've been sleeping in most mornings since mid-December. I've enjoyed the extra rest, but not the inevitable headaches I got from not being used to it. Sure sleeping in is nice and sure I have a hard enough time getting up on a routine schedule, but I'm truly looking forward to it---it will be how Taryn gets her groove back...hehe. (and not in the same way Stella did.. In that respect, I don't need a hot young man to help- I've got my ol' man. haha!)

Anyway- I'm dreading and anticipating the alarm in the morning all at the same time. I know I'll groan, roll out of bed and hit the snooze a time or two (or three), but I'll get up and make sure the kids get dressed, fed. I'll wake up my husband and kiss him a good day as he leaves for work and then make sure the kids are out the door when the bus comes up the road.

After that- the quiet can engulf me momentarily before I check emails, blogs, etc. I'll hop on my exercise machine and "Gazelle" my way to AT LEAST a mile. Starting slow after such a long hiatus from it sounds like a good idea to me. I'll probably do 1 mile a day, at least 5 days a week, for a week or two, or until I realize I "need" a little more. Then I'll probably move up by quarter or half miles after that.

As I said before- I did well for a few months mid-way through last year, but this time around I have every intention of keeping up with it, so long as I'm home and can pull the Gazelle out. Now, when I go up to visit my family during Spring Break or any other time, I might just get up early and go to the park and walk the path. Four times around it makes a mile- if I remember correctly. Perhaps convince my mom or sister to tag along so they can watch my daughter on the playground while I walk my mile(s).

But at home- I'll get the exercise out of the way early on in the day, shower and then get my head in the game and work on finishing novel number 9 and moving on through edits and revisions on the others. It's not just time for my kids to go back to school or hubby to go back to work- It's time for me to bring the focus back to my writing- to rein it in and work my hardest to make something of what I love to do- Write.

Am I ready for that early wake up call? I hope so.

Are you?

1 comment:

Magdalena Scott said...

Great post, Taryn.

I think you're ready! Go for it!