Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rumbling Like A Freight Train...

Last night's storm was insane. We had gusting winds that sounded a lot like a train, lots of lightning and loud thunder and because we're so close to the Kentucky/Tennessee border, we were able to see the sky illuminated from the fire that broke out down in Macon County, TN at a natural gas pumping station, from our front door. I tried to take a picture but this was all I was able to catch, and even then I had to alter it some for it to be visible-
It was so dark I tried to take a picture with and without the flash. With the flash all it took was a picture of the tree in our front yard and caught NONE of the "glow" to the south, but the photo above is one I took without the flash. Its barely visible, but I hope you're able to make out the reddish tints near the center of the picture. That was the sky, but the picture doesn't do it justice.

I had never seen a sky like that in all my born days. It was actually a pinkish orange overlaying the gray stormy sky and it flickered, like a huge candle flame, throbbing and pulsating in the distance. Last night I thought maybe lightning had struck a house or a tree and set it on fire, but then I heard about it on the news this morning. I checked our distance from the place. Only about 18-19 miles from here and according to the news reports, the flames were shooting 400-500 feet in the air.

It isn't any wonder we could see it. Even people closer to Nashville, but further away than us, could see it. I stood in awe of it but at the same time I was actually a little scared that it might a fire that would spread to our part of the country. At least I thought so last night, when I wasn't sure what it was or where it was coming from.

In my writing world, I wrote over 3,000 words yesterday. That's quite the accomplishment since I had felt sluggish lately and thought my inspiration was dropping off. I also got a great idea for a western historical this morning. To my recollection, it's the first western historical romance idea I've had thus far.

Of course, I'm not sure when I'll get to start working on it since I'm still working on my girls in my series at the moment, but the idea will still be there when I'm ready for it, just like so many of my others.

It's always nice when a new idea presents itself when you're least expecting it. A shame it came when I have other stuff to work on, but a pleasure to know that the inspiration train pulled into the station once more and dropped off a nice little package for me to contemplate for later. :o)

Well, as the winds doth continue to blow and I keep having to go out and set my trashcan back up(over and over and over again) I'll sign off for now.

Please know that my thoughts are with all who were in the path of last night's storms. My thoughts are most especially with those who lost their lives or the loved ones left behind from this awful disaster that has ravaged not only land, but lives.

No comments: