Friday, August 26, 2011

Hit the Keys


This will be short, but in an attempt to get back to writing a blog more often, to awaken the writer in me, I will post today and hopefully start finding things to write about more than once a week. I just find my brain goes muddled and I can't quite think of things to talk about, but that's because I have a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment, mostly editing manuscripts and trying to keep myself afloat in a sea of distractions.

I hit a sluggish row around 2009, just burnout I guess, but I'm digging and clawing my way out of this rut. I HAVE to, not just because living in a rut is awful, but because my writing is suffering for it. I misplaced my fire- that writing fire that was lit beneath me? It got moved and misplaced in the chaos of simply living.

If I seem to procrastinate it has a lot to do with not "feeling" the fire burning in my belly....I lost the hunger and the need to write. I used to write as though I might never get to have my entire say in the conversation of life. I feel like I'm on the outskirts of that fire, and I need to jump back in, let the flames brand me, to sear my skin with the markings of untold tales and fill my heart with a renewed desire to lift the stories up out of me and onto the page/screen.

It's slowly rekindling, I just wish I hadn't lost it to begin with- but life is sometimes too overwhelming and you must take each step and each moment as it comes, even when it isn't convenient for us. I've stayed quiet a lot these past few years because I've been ashamed of myself for losing the momentum. I wonder, what kind of writer does that make me? I'm starting to think it's all about pacing- pacing the stories and the writing and the editing, and myself.

The writer in me won't stop nagging me to fix this. I'll get there. I have to.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Ciara said...

Everyone gets burned out at times. Take a deep breath, go for a walk, read a great book. Just DON'T give up. You have a story in you that will change someone's life and that person is out there waiting for that inspiration.

Cherie Marks said...

There is definitely no shame in picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, and getting back to it time and time again, even knowing that, more than likely, you're going to hit a rough patch again somewhere along the way.

I honestly think the only thing that keeps me going at those low moments is that someone out there somewhere might just care whether I write another word or not. I hope, anyway.

Keep your chin up and know that I like what you write and can't wait to see more. So, even though you're writing for yourself, you're also writing for a soon-to-be growing audience.

Taryn Raye said...

Thanks Ciara. My feet are dragging, but I'm still moving! LOL

Cherie- Thank you so much. So many people don't realize that a little encouragement goes a long, long way.

Magdalena Scott said...

I feel for you, Taryn. Hope you're able to find the right balance soon.