Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#TuesdayswithTaryn S.J. McMillan, author of City of the Gods: The Descendant @McMillanSJ


Tuesdays with Taryn
S.J. McMillan

Please answer the following questions:
What book(s) most influenced you as a writer?
My love of reading started in high school. I read a lot of YA horror like R.L Stine, L.J. Smith, Christopher Pike, etc. After high school, I started reading a lot of romance, any kind of romance. It is probably the combination of the genres that influenced me to write urban fantasy. I like the suspense of the horror genre and the emotional drama of romances.

What book do you read over and over again?
I have several that I have read many times. I’ve read the original Vampire Diaries series 3 or 4 times. I’ve read a book titled Waters Dark & Deep (by Jean Favors) many times as well. There are also a couple of romance writer, Lynsay Sands, book I’ve read a few times. I’m a book hoarder. If I loved the book, I never get rid of it in case I decide to pick it up and enjoy it again.

Tuesday Trio-
1)      Movie- Victor/Victoria
2)      Music- It’s a 3 way tie between Paramore, Flyleaf, & Evanescence
3)      Decadent Dessert- Anything chocolate

What’s the most interesting or bizarre bit of trivia you’ve learned from researching for a novel?
Because the ancient civilization is from an actual city in Mexico, I had to research the city and the time period of 700 A.D. The mystery surrounding the construction of and demise of the city of Teotihuacán is interesting to me. There is still some much to learn. My hope is to one day travel to see the city first hand.

Novel on your Nightstand:
Who/what are you currently reading?
I’m so far behind on my reading these days. The book anxiously awaiting my attention is Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (yep, the 2nd book in the Hunger Games trilogy, that’s how far behind I am).

Whom would you cast as your Hero & Heroine if your book became a movie?
I would cast Christian Serratos for Katalina. Most will probably know her from the Twilight Saga movies. She played the human Angela.

I would cast Alex Meraz for Tristan’s part. He was also in the Twilight Saga movies as one of the wolf pack.



Blurb
700A.D. Teotihuacán, Mexico – The High Priest believed himself to be as powerful as the gods. He set a plague on the city as a demonstration of his power. The Gods took pity on the remaining loyal congregation. They granted each survivor immortality and an extraordinary ability. Three loyal survivors were given a mission of great importance: train the lone human descendant of their civilization to stop the evil priest from damning the rest of humanity.
2012 A.D. San Diego, California – The time has come to finally make Katalina Deckard aware of her destiny. Her life has been a constant struggle since the loss of her parents when she was young. But has it prepared her to save the world? Can her friends, who have survived so long, convince her she has what it takes to accept the mantle of Redeemer?


Author Bio
I play many roles in life, as we all do. I’m a wife to a supportive husband, a mother to three young rascals, and an administrative assistant during the work week to name a few. Now I am finally getting to add published author to my list.

I started writing poetry in high school. I enjoy poetry and still write a poem whenever inspiration hits me. I love to read, especially paranormal romances and urban fantasies. The love of reading spawned the urge to try writing a novel of my own.

One of my favorite parts of writing a book is creating the characters. I immerse myself into their lives. I laugh when they laugh, cry when they cry. I cheer them on in their triumphs and encourage them in their struggles.

I have also come to enjoy writing fight scenes. Don’t laugh, but my husband (the wonderful man that he is) will act them out with me so I know exactly how I need to show it to the reader. Call us crazy, but it is really fun to act out a scene using a broom handle as a spear and a foam baseball bat as an axe.

I am currently finishing up the follow up book to City of the Gods: The Descendant. I love to hear from readers and other authors. You can find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/McMillanSJ, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/McMillanSJ, or check out my website at www.mcmillansj.com.

3 comments:

Taryn Raye said...

Welcome S.J.! So glad to have you joining me today!

SJ McMillan said...

Thanks for having me. I really enjoyed the interview!

Allison Merritt said...

Great interview ladies!