Thursday, July 5, 2012

Favorite Book Spotlight- Interview with a Vampire Anne Rice


In 2000, when I was first introduced to dark fantasy authors such as H.P. Lovecraft, Clive Barker, and Tanith Lee, I also read Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire and fell in love with the depth of prose and visual description and dark gothic tales of vampire lore. I, of course, intended to read her entire backlist, but never quite got around to it as changes altered the path in life I was taking.

Nowadays, while some find enjoyment in the Twilight Saga and True Blood, I find my vampire lore in the pages of Yasmine Galenorn’s Otherworld series and Indigo Court series and Elle Jasper’s Dark Ink Chronicles. That’s more my speed.

I read such a variety of books there’s no way I can call myself a book snob. I have to try out books that sound interesting to me, simply because no one is telling me I have to, but me. I know some folks who can’t bear to read certain genres because they’ve been required to read them in school or for work. I suppose when you have to read a lot of books and find a good deal of them lacking, it does set the stage for shunning certain genres that just don’t hold any desirable qualities or depth.

I count myself lucky- most books I’ve read that were recommendations or suggestions are usually quality stories and I very much enjoy them. But I also know that I give myself much more freedom to truly enjoy the books I read because I do so at my leisure and because I love discovering new beautifully woven tales that take me to all kinds of places, worlds and lifestyles.

It’s been a very long time since I read Interview with the Vampire. I’m not sure whether I would see it the same or if perhaps I would find new angles and intricacies I wasn’t aware of the first time I read it, but I’m sure I’d still enjoy it and I hope someday I am able to read it and the other books in The Vampire Chronicles.

No comments: