Saturday, September 15, 2012

#SCENTsational Saturdays- #Autumn in the Air


Autumn is sneaking right upon us. I know a few people who aren't enthused about it, but for me, this is one of the best times of the year. The aromas in the air, the chill infiltrating the heat of summer in the breeze, the quietness across the land that inspires me to be descriptive and poetic in my ramblings. The other morning I had the window up and the only sound I heard was a squirrel sitting on a branch on a tree in the backyard, nibbling on a walnut or something he found worthy of eating now instead of saving and hiding somewhere in the yard, unlike the green walnut I found on the post next to our mailbox where it couldn't have fallen from a tree and conveniently situated itself there. I'll leave it there and see if a squirrel ever comes back for it in the spring. It just seems funny that they'd hide it in plain sight. Silly squirrel!

Earlier this week at the store I got some air freshener that smells like Maple Pumpkin- Lordy! It smells delicious. Normally I go with floral scents or sugar cookie/vanilla & apple and cinnamon. Those are smells that speak to me of the change in season, that hearken back to me the memories of childhood that remind me of home and gathering around the coal stove and eating homemade vegetable soup and chili or oyster soup (milk, butter, salt, pepper and oysters) that my grandma made....

Every morning when my kids get on the bus now, I can smell it in the air...Autumn is coming and it scratches something in my soul that wakes me up. My sense of smell is heightened by the musky odor of the leaves and grass as they die back, taking their greenery with them for a spell. The pungent aroma of brush piles being burned, of bonfires and wood-burning stoves- the earthy tones of decay and hibernation as the earth begins to take her rest from the weary heat of the summer sun. She withdraws into herself while at the same time, drawing us near in the circle of her warmth, beckoning us to retreat indoors.

I inhale deeply the spicy tang, the incense-like crispness that permeates into all things at this time of year, the dying back, the rustic fragrance that takes on a life of its own. Instead of the fresh sweet smell of roses blooming, there is a cloyingly sweet headiness in the air, suffused with the smell of damp earth and cold rains, as the moisture sinks into your bones.
 
I'm reminded of cool Halloween nights, seeing your breath in front of your face as you shivered your way around the neighborhood and the warm smell of neighbors burning wood, the sweet aroma of apples and oranges and chocolates and candies in your bag.

The meaty buttery goodness of turkey baking in the oven for the family's Thanksgiving gathering warms you through, while the zesty smell of basil fills the air while the dressing browns and you give thanks for all you have. One of my favorite things is making a crock-pot full of spiced apple cider, with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and brown sugar. The aromatic beverage not only tastes good, but it perfumes the house with that sweet spiciness.

Welcome Autumn, I'm glad you're back. I dedicate my first cup of chocolatey good cocoa to you!

What are some of your favorite smells during Autumn? Your favorite memories? Please feel free to share! I'd love to hear your favorites!

Have a SCENTsational Saturday!

No comments: