Monday, February 2, 2009

Moving Along

Last night I started edits/revisions and fluffing to LBC, the 2nd of 7 that needs work. I got 1400 some odd words added. This story was woven a bit tighter than the previous one, so I spent a lot of time last night just reading, adding some description to scenes to further the "visual" of the story. I did eventually stumble onto a section where the scene went from one day until a week later with little mention of what went on in between. I also stayed in one character's POV during that switch in scenes, so I figured I needed to give the other a little voice, a little more insight.

So that's where I am today- delving into creating more to the story and diving between the scenes to tie things together better.

I think I enjoy the writing of a manuscript better than I do the revisions and fluffing of the story. When writing I can easily let thoughts flow across the keyboard and onto the screen. I feel like I'm actually "getting" somewhere.

Going through edits is like trying to find a needle in a haystack while I'm trying to squeeze another scene or even just another word here and there while making sure it's not an unnecessary addition. Of course, it never fails that in the process I add a scene or a word or two, but end up subtracting the same amount when I realize I've repeated myself or see a sentence I know could be better structured and read more smoothly if I phrase it differently.

I do edit through as I write. I'll go back to the beginning and read through until I get to the scene I'm working on. I catch all kinds of mistakes and grammatical errors while I'm writing, but it seems I still find more when I go back through a finished manuscript.

Writers are their own worst critic and I believe it. I never fail to see the flaws and wonder- "Just what am I doing? Where did that even come from? How stupid does that sound?"

But I continue to move along. It's almost like creating a town with words.

I search out the plot holes in the road and fill them in. I build better sentences and paragraphs with good foundations and believe that my next journey through the story finds less eyesores and irritable word syndromes, hoping instead to have a smooth ride through and beautiful scenery and a pleasant visit with those who live within the pages.

One of these days I'll travel through and not have my own personal complaints that the town is too crowded or not crowded enough. Someday I'll see that the people are genuine and nice and that Polished Manuscript, U.S.A. is worthy of a mark on the map. :D

Ramble, ramble, ramble...I need to get to work.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Devon Matthews said...

Taryn, I loved your closing paragraphs! Very creative writing. Keep going! I'm rooting for the day when you feel ready to send your first baby out into the world. I'll be here cheering you on.

JM Madden said...

Going by your blog, your manuscripts should be great. Keep plugging away!

Kelly's Mom said...

I think most writers will agree that the first draft... that first burst of euphoria... is really exciting! Going back through may be less exciting, but finding those places where you can make the MS better are like finding little treasures. Sometimes you even get that "burst of euphoria" again. Best of luck as you edit!

Amy

Taryn Raye said...

Thanks ladies. I appreciate you stopping by and leaving me a comment!

It's coming along slowly today (but I also got back on the Gazelle today after not exercising at all last week with everything else that went on- daughter sick, school closed, hubby home a couple of days...etc.)

Trying to get back in the groove all around.