Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Milkweed on the Wind...

So much for the "newfound" inspiration. I wrote that little bit the other day and not a syllable since. Things have been hectic though.

Friday I just couldn't get into it, knowing we had things to do. Saturday hubby mowed the yard and I planted seeds outside. Sunday the in-laws came to visit, moreso because hubby needed help putting up a basketball goal. Monday my stepson had an appointment with a dermatologist for a rash, so everyone was home and after the Dr. appt. we went to Walmart, Chuck E. Cheese (for the kids) and Shoe Carnival cause "Momma" needed new shoes and yesterday I had both kids home since there was no school because of Election Day.

The weekend seemed to drag on and the first part of the week I was totally out of routine. This morning my daughter thought it was Monday because this was the first day her brother went back to school! LOL

Yesterday I made homemade beef stew in the crock pot, homemade yeast rolls (my great aunt's recipe) and homemade baked apple turnovers. My feet are still throbbing from being on my feet for so long. LOL

Since inspiration is lacking this morning- I'll share my Beef Stew Recipe-

1 package stew beef- cut into smaller bite-size pieces and trim fat off, if necessary or desired
3 Packages of Pioneer Brown Gravy
2 small packets beef bouillon seasoning
1 large onion, cut into bite-size pieces
2 sticks of celery, washed and sliced
3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced in circles
3-5 medium to large potatoes, peeled and cubed in bite-sizes
Water, salt and pepper

Cut up all the vegetables and put in a dutch oven in water enough to cover. Add salt and pepper to suit. Bring to boil, covered for approximately 5 minutes to prep veggies.

In meantime, cut stew beef and sprinkle and toss with beef bouillon seasoning. (In a bowl or on the cutting board)

With a slotted serving spoon, place 1 layer of hot veggies in bottom of crock pot, then a layer of stew beef. Repeat until all meat and veggies are used. Mix all 3 packages of brown gravy into the hot veggie water and pour over everything in the crockpot. Set on low- cover and cook for 8-9 hours, stirring occasionally throughout the day. Gravy will thicken. Stir before serving and add more salt or pepper to taste or if needed. Serves well with rolls (though my great aunt's rolls are the bomb..LOL)

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll share the yeast rolls and the apple turnovers recipes as well.

Have a great Hump Day!

No comments: