Tuesday, May 15, 2012

#Readers- swing by #TuesdayswithTaryn and meet #Author Jennifer Johnson aka @BooksbyJennifer

Tuesdays with Taryn
Jennifer Johnson
 Help me welcome Jennifer to Tuesdays with Taryn. Not only is she a wonderful writer, but she was also my editor on Castaway Hearts!
 
What book(s) most influenced you as a writer?

More inspired rather than influenced: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy and The Princess Bride by William Goldman. And probably all those Harlequins I read in the 1970s and 80s. They’re nearly painful to read now as the heroes were sometimes abusive to the heroines, but later I realized that respect in a relationship is important and kindness is attractive. Respect and kindness are two values which I put in my characters, because you know those books which influence us can be influence as what TO do or what NOT to do.

What book do you read over and over again?
Umm. Geez, that’s a hard one as usually once is enough for me. The Bible is definitely a collection of books I read over and over though I do not read it all the way through. I tend to read the Psalms a lot. I can usually find words for my present torment or joy.

This is probably self-centered, but I read my published books over and over again. My husband laughs at me when he sees me. He’ll say, “Do you know how it ends?” I’m not sure whether I read them to help myself believe my dream of being published has come true or if I want to relive my love affair with my characters. We have a great time getting to know each other. When I type ‘the end’, I’m relieved, but a little sad too.

Tuesday Trio-
1)      Movie- Most of the movies I’ve seen are what my kids want to see, so I’ve only seen a few *grown up* movies in the last few years. I have a few favorites I would leave the computer to watch on TV: Shakespeare in Love, Groundhog Day, The Jerk. I watched Ironman 2 with my kids yesterday. It was surprisingly entertaining.
2)      Music- Right now my favorite band is Barefoot. I’m listening to them right now.
3)      Decadent Dessert- Cheesecake.

What’s the most interesting or bizarre bit of trivia you’ve learned from researching for a novel? I learned there’s a nudist beach in Vancouver. I do feel compelled to tell you I have never been to a nudist beach nor do I have plans to go.

Novel on your Nightstand:
Who/what are you currently reading?
Oh, boy. I have a stack of books next to my bed. I’m usually in the middle of several books which I pick up and put down depending on my mood. I just got back from a long trip in which I listened to Gail Sheehy’s Sex and the Seasoned Woman. I highly recommend this book for those of us 40 and over. I was on disc three of Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot when I got home. My husband has the paperback of it so I’m thinking I’d like to know what happens next.

Whom would you cast as your Hero & Heroine if your book became a movie?
All of the guys I list are not spring chickens. That tells you that I’m no spring chicken myself. I like Hugh Jackman, and I’m crazy about Mike Rowe. I’ll pick Mike, so since I get to decide, I’ll pick me as the heroine. Because, you know, it’s Mike Rowe.

Double Dog Dare Blurb-

We’re all mad here. ~The Cheshire Cat

When Cheris McDowell wakes up in a hotel room next to the husband she doesn’t remember meeting, she decides the only practical solution is a quiet divorce. Too bad the rest of the world disagrees. As an Internet advice guru, Cheris ought to know how to fix the mess she woke up to, but when her own web master conspires to keep the marriage going, Cheris is at a loss. Geoff Arrowood III, her new husband, isn’t helping the situation. He’s way too charming and looks a little too good in a Tuxedo. Will Cheris choose a little storybook madness or the sensible advice of the wisdom she’s followed all her life?

Double Dog Dare is available via the following:

You can find Jennifer at

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Oooh! Mike Rowe! This will lead to much discussion in a few weeks. Dirty boy. Dirty, dirty boy...

Ahem. Yeah. I'm back. Great interview Jennifer and Taryn!

Taryn Raye said...

Welcome Jennifer, glad to have you join me today.

Margaret, I know! I love Mike. He's is such a dirty boy. ;)

Jennifer Johnson said...

Margaret, hahaha!! Yeah. Him being the host of that show really gives us a lot of openings, does it not?