Friday, September 2, 2011

Long Week Ending, or Long Weekend?

Where is the time going?

The fact that it's already Friday again and I promised myself I'd post more often begged the question first. Then though a glance at the calendar also brought forth questions like "Where did August go? Is it already September? Really? Where did this YEAR go?"

This has been a long week that's coming to an end, but I'm also grateful that it's a "long weekend" we're heading into because, Wowee, wow, wow- it's already Labor Day weekend!

School is fully underway for the kids and they're really starting to get back into the groove of things. Hubby's bid to a different shift worked out so before too long he'll be working Wed-Sun, still on a 10-hour shift, but working 4 days in a row and having 3 consecutive days off in a row which I know makes him happier and will add a little normalcy back to our weekly routine. I know he's excited.

Last Friday after I posted I heard from my newly assigned editor, so I'm tickled over that. Then this week was made chipper by the discovery that my Author's Bio page is up on Turquoise Morning Press. This makes publication seem more real yet again. I find myself hit with small bursts of "Squee!" from time to time. Very surreal.

I have also still been working on the whole underline/italics thing in my manuscripts. My love affair must end though. Underlining words of emphasis is rather antiquated so I'm having to correct that through my manuscripts by changing them to italics. From there, I will head into deep self-editing mode again and then more writing. Perhaps I'll put myself on a strict self-inflicted deadline so I can finish writing one of my manuscripts *the one I began and won NaNoWriMo with last November*. I need to get it finished before November so I can use this year's NaNo to my advantage to write and finish the last book in my brothers' series.

And in other news- for those who aren't aware of this- I only have a permit- I've never had a huge need to drive, ever, but last year I was going to remedy that because I need to be more self-reliant, not just in the cases of emergency, but also because I want to be able to go visit my family when I get a notion, so I can run to the store if we need something, or if the kids get sick at school, I can go pick them up or take them to the doctor. I'm tired of feeling "stuck" and knowing I could easily solve this issue if I could just drive.

Well, needless to say, there were a lot of "universal" saboteurs that have stood in my way over the past year or so- bad timing or just no convenient time to go out and practice driving, automotive failures, irrational fears. Yesterday I took a step toward shaking off the irrational fears as well as moving forward with my original intent. I think I did pretty good and even my husband said I did really well considering I hadn't been behind the wheel in over a year.

I'm hoping this is the beginning of a means to an end for me. I'll have some freedom to travel when or if the need arises. I will be able to take care of things when my husband isn't able to and best of all, I might be able to FINALLY start squeezing into KYRW meetings from time to time! :D It would be great to finally meet all the wonderful authors in my chapter and it's yet another awesome reason I'm determined to accomplish this little feat.

So, on that thought, I'm off and gone. Need some lunch and then back to vanquishing the underline from my life, dirty little bugger!

Hope you have a wonderful long RELAXING weekend and you enjoy the company of family and friends, with good food and good times! Careful in your travels!

Happy Labor Day!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I'd go nuts without my independence. I'm one of those that prefers to drive myself to meet friends or whoever just so I'm not stuck on someone else's schedule.

Keep posting, girl. It gets easier and eventually you'll do it just to have the opportunity to voice your opinion.

Kallypso Masters said...

Congrats on the upcoming book! And get that license! I want to see you at a KYRW meeting sometime.

Kally

JM said...

I was going to say... you better get to a meeting here and there. But you beat me to it. That makes me very happy.
It's funny, because I'm totally on the opposite side of the spectrum from you. I could hop in my car, pick a direction and drive for hours and I'd be happy. Just about every job we've ever had has been at least an hour from home, so driving for us is like breathing.
Congratulations, though! This will be a huge ego boost for you. And you need to know how, just in case one of your kids or hubby gets hurt or something.
Yay, Taryn! And good luck with the underlining too!

Taryn Raye said...

Thank you ladies so much for the words of encouragement. Every little bit helps, believe me!

Sondra said...

Taryn,
I'm excited for you to get your license especially if it means you will finally get to come to our chapter meetings. I've been driving since I was 16 and it's funny, now that I'm heading towards retirement (praise be!) my goal is to find myself in some small town tropical Mayberry somewhere where I will never have to get behind the steering wheel again. To everything there is a season...

Taryn Raye said...

Thanks Sondra!

That's one thing I've really missed in the past 5 years I've been a member of KYRW. I have NEVER been to a single meeting and I always feel like I've missed out on that opportunity to mingle with my fellow writers. My husband works every Saturday and all I think is, if I could drive, me and Girly Girl could get up early and head out. I could drop her at my parents on my way and hit the meeting. Then either spend the night up there or head back late that evening. It would feel great to be more involved.

You not wanting to drive now sounds like I was before I moved here and wound up so far out in the country. I lived in small Mayberry kind of town and anywhere I needed to go, I was in walking distance.

In the 10 years I've lived here, I've missed the ability to take off and go for a walk when the mood struck. Here, I'd have to walk several miles just to circle back to my house! Or only walk so far and turn around. I miss sidewalks and though we have a 35 mph speed limit out here, it just doesn't feel safe to go walking.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Cherie Marks said...

I was a reluctant driver too, but pressure form parents (I'm the oldest of five children and they needed another driver) and peers forced me to finally get my license.

Now I can't imagine not having it. I know you'll love it once you have it, and I'll love seeing you in person at a KYRW meeting.

Big SQUEEEE on the author page! Awesome, awesome, awesome. It does seem to make it feel official (even though it's been official for a while now).

Good luck and best wishes on all your endeavors.

Sherry w/a Cherie Marks

Kelly's Mom said...

Congratulations on all of the great things! Your author bio page... the successful driving practice... AND especially that you may soon be able to join us at KYRW meetings!!!