Monday, April 13, 2009

Cold Rainy Break- Toothache....Blech!

So much for returning feeling refreshed and ready to work on edits/revisions.

The weather turned off COLD- wintery- while I was up visiting my family. We had one day that it snow flurried almost all day. Brrr......

Then, since the middle of last week I've been slowly working on a toothache. Since I've been home, it's been awful. Some of it is probably affected by the weather, but for the most part, it ebbs and flows- comes and goes and it isn't pleasant at all. I've taken ibruprofen and I've been using Oragel severe pain formula, but it still hurts. I'm going to give it a few more days, but if it doesn't stop after that, I'll go have the problem yanked out.

I lived with severe pain a couple of years ago- around this time of year in fact- for about 2-3 months before I went to have it taken care of. I lived in a haze and felt like I lost a LOT of time- not just on my writing but with my family because I was in so much pain I couldn't focus or concentrate. That ain't happening again. No way. I just won't go back to the dentist/oral surgeon I went to the last time. Psycho Oral Surgeon will NOT get his hands on my mouth again.

Sure, I felt better after he pulled the two teeth that needed to be pulled, but he didn't respect my wishes for gas before he stabbed me with the needle over and over and left me to sit alone for about 15-20 minutes, shaking all over, hyperventilating and sobbing from the pain he put me through. I nearly got up and stumbled out of there.... I thought, and still think, it was unprofessional and sadistic in him to disregard my wishes. The receptionist asked me 3-4 times if I wanted gas...I told her yes every time! But when I got back there, I didn't get it....There was never even any mention of it...

No, what I got was- "Here, let's have a look..." and then jab, jab, jab, jab, jab- into my jawbone, the roof of my mouth- over and over again with what felt like the biggest freaking needle I'd ever felt in my life. He was the epitome of Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors- I swear he was keeping the gas all to himself.....

I WILL NOT go back to him...no way, uh uh, ain't happening...not in this lifetime...

So- did I come back refreshed and rearing to go? Not exactly. I've spent the better part of the last 3 days lying on the couch with my eyes closed, trying to block out the pain. I can't hardly concentrate on daily household stuff, let alone writing/edits/revision. It's any wonder I've gotten this much written on this blog.

I'm doing good with the not smoking. feel free to hop over and read the small blog I posted on Taryn Up in Smoke. I'm going to check a few more emails, load some of my pictures up on the computer from my week away and then probably lay down for a while to rest and relax through the pain that's escalating already this morning.

Have a great one!

4 comments:

Devon Matthews said...

Taryn, I'm glad you're back. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for your visit with family. We had sleet, snow (about an inch on the ground) and sub-freezing temps over here. Fortunately, the new spring growth wasn't killed, but it's a wonder.

Here's a bit of advice from someone who's had oral surgery, root canals, and many fillings over the years, from both good dentists and butchers who should have their license to practice taken away. Give yourself a break and go to a dentist. Unless you are successful at killing the nerves in those teeth, the pain isn't going away. Even if the nerves do die, you'll have to have them taken care of or they'll get infected. I know I'm not your mother and sorry for the lecture, but I'm concerned about you. Why suffer when it can be avoided?

Taryn Raye said...

Thanks Devon. I'm probably going to go to the dentist here in a day or so. Just has to wait till hubby can take off work. I think he's taking off Wednesday anyway, so I may try to get an appointment for that morning. Stepson has eye appointment that evening to have his eyes checked.

I'll let you know how it goes. (No need to worry about the motherly lecture. I appreciate it! :D)

Magdalena Scott said...

Oh, Taryn--your description of the shots in your jaw are horrifying. I had my hands over my eyes reading it. Well, I peeked a little bit...

I'm so fortunate to have a dentist who is kind and gentle, and tells me every single thing he's going to do, and what it will feel like. I hope you'll find someone like that. Looking forward to better news from you. Wednesday is surely long enough to wait.

JM Madden said...

Ahh, Taryn, sounds like your visit was like mine-not nearly as nice as it could have been. Well, maybe next time will be better.
Not to scare you, but you should go see a doctor as soon as possible. My mom worked at a dental office for years, and retired just last year. She had a regular (kind of) patient who didn't like coming in, and he apparently got an abcess that got infected. Somehow, the infection from the abcess got into his heart and he ended up passing away. This is not normal, of course, but toothaches are not something to be ignored.